Sunday, September 7, 2008

sa-go-ye-wat-ha

In reading the words of sa-go-ye-wat-ha, I found that I have many similar views. I consider myself a Christian and believe in the bible. I fully agree when it was said that the red men believed that the Great Spirit was more pleased with a sincere heart than certain forms of worship. I think that religion can get so caught up with certain traditions and rituals and forget what it is to just truly believe. He had a point when he asked the white men why they didn't all agree on one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. I see now that many people call themselves Christians but have very different interpretations of what the bible is trying to communicate to us. All of what the bible says is open to interpretation and so naturally the interpretations vary amongst fellow believers. I find it sad that the Indians were just trying to be understanding and hospitable and ended up getting very taken advantage of for their kindness. The Christians seem a bit hypocritical in the way that they have taken the Indian's kindness for granted. They act as if they own and are in charge of the land when their beliefs are supposed to reinforce the fact that God is in control of everything. I have very much respect for the red men because they are still able to address the white even after great amounts of frustration and talk about an opposing issue. I think that there are a number of very good points made and I find that I have shifted my beliefs to be more open and similar to the way that the natives saw things. Nobody can be so sure that they are right and some body else is wrong for believing something different because is no proof to back them up. Overall, though the red men seem to be more laid back about their beliefs, but seem to manage to live more honorable lives than the white men.

1 comment:

Shane said...

I agree with you entirely. I believe that God is in control of everything and for the white men to act as though they have the right to land is very hypocritical. It is amazing how one book can be interpreted so differently to people.