Friday, September 12, 2008

Upanishads

The Upanishads were very interesting but it was very hard to stretch my mind around what the words were trying to communicate. Alot of what is said almost contradicts itself. Not in a negative way but in a purposeful way in order to prove a point such as the quote "I do not know God, nor can i know it. If you understand the meaning of 'I neither know nor don't know,' you understand God. I believe that one message it was sending is that God is vast beyond our knowledge. That we can't begin to imagine what God is like or how he works, we just know that he is. As in the bible when God says "I am I am." My mind is still left puzzling over some of these concepts and will continue to, but once I understood one of its messages, I felt I instantly had a solid understanding of what was being communicated. These are very mind stretching but i enjoyed challenging myself to understand.

2 comments:

Gabrielle said...

I agree with your insight into the Upanishads. The Upanishads reading was definitely one which stretched the limits of my thinking. The practicality and wisdom of what they were saying was hard to comprehend for myself, who grew up in a society where everything is analyzed, over analyzed and then reanalyzed, just in case, so to hear that the secrets of the universe are really a simple thing to obtain is incredibly complicated. which I believe is juts about the same thing you wrote in your blog :P

Anyways nice reactions and I totally agreed with them.

AME87 said...

Yeah, I agree with what you were saying about how God is beyond our knowledge that it is hard to actually fully saying that you know him. Since he is so great and powerful, its more than what humans can comprehend. That reading was pretty deep to me, it said a lot to make you really think of how you want to view "God".